Monday, January 25, 2010

primitive swag tutorial

First off, go here and buy some of these. You need some primitive hooks to hang your swag on, duh! Well worth the $7.99 for the pair. I bought 2 pair because I have 2 windows I wanted swagged... yeah, I just typed swagged.


This is SEW easy!

You'll Need:
homespun fabric - I covered 2 kitchen windows (one over the sink, the other a normal size) so I bought 7 yards of fabric on a whim, surprisingly I got just enough. Measure your windows, buy your fabric, allow yourself enough room for swag to swoop down in the middle.
coordinating thread (something that will blend in)
sewing machine
scissors

I made sure I left the 7 yards all one piece. I started with one window and draped the fabric the way I wanted it to lay. I then cut the excess off. One straight cut. The remaining fabric is to cover the other window.


This is the ugly window before.



Now, you'll need to fold your edges under about 1/2 an inch and iron.



Load your machine up with your coordinating thread and sew with a 1/4 inch allowance. Keep it straight and make sure you backstitch at the beginning. Right now you're just going down one side. When you get to the end backstitch there too and clip your thread.


Next side. Fold it under all nice and neat so you have a pretty corner. Follow the same as above.


Repeat the steps for each side.


When you're finished you'll have a pretty rectangle.

Now drape it over your hooks and admire your work. Easy peasy, just the way I like it!

1 comment:

  1. I really like this. I might have to put it to good use once we get our front bedroom in order :)

    ReplyDelete